Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Haiku?

For one of my final assignments in an Education course I took during the Spring semester, I tried to write two haiku. This may have ended up having something to do with what happened a few weekends ago, when Amy and I drove out to Bagdad Kentucky to visit the campground I used to work at. While reading poetry late on Friday night, some unremembered turn of our conversation resulted in my decision to spontaneously utter a poem about my favorite Christmas movie, Home Alone.

My parents are gone,
The burglars are coming and
I will kick their ass

After making it up, I realized that if I added that "and" to the second line, it would fit the 5-7-5 pattern often prevalent in modern Western haiku. Other than its lack of a season word, or kigo, I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments: